Overview (English)

The College Access Program (CAP) is a three-week summer enrichment residential program for first-generation college students or students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. The program is open to 9th and 10th graders who have completed their high school academic year. Students must be completing their freshman or sophomore year in high school when applying. Students must have a minimum 2.75 GPA and course work which will prepare them for college.

During the 3–week precollege program you will

  • Discover the University of Wisconsin–Madison
  • Get a head start on your preparation for college
  • Practice problem–solving skills you will need to succeed academically in college
  • Work with college instructors on projects that will help develop your writing skills
  • Learn how math and science are used to solve real–world problems
  • Experience living in University Housing

What Will Workshop Sessions Cover?
Math sessions explore problem–solving strategies used in college-level mathematics. You will learn strategies to be a successful first year college student, critical thinking and effective test taking skills. 

Career Development sessions develop self-awareness of skills and interests in various careers. You will learn about career opportunities and the academic skills necessary to be successful in those careers. 

Writing sessions focus on developing college–level writing skills. You will learn strategies for research, analysis and presentation that are essential to writing effective academic papers. You will use these strategies throughout the program to produce formal and informal essays. 

Other activities will include weekend and evening recreational and cultural activities and workshops on college applications, financial aid, academic requirements for college and services available to university students.

How Much Does It Cost?
The fee for the College Access Program is $500. This fee covers instruction, advising, room/board and supplies. Department of Public Instruction (DPI) scholarships are available to qualified Wisconsin residents. Limited scholarships are available to nonresidents. 

For a scholarship application, please contact your counselor, Title IX Indian Education Coordinator or the College Access Program. Travel to and from the University, and all incidental expenses while on campus, will be the responsibility of the student.

How Should I Apply?